Monday, November 21, 2011

7. A Thanksgiving Nine Years Overdue

(the blogger's cross-stitched thanksgiving picture)



in the hustle and bustle of every day
I tend to forget something
that once upon a time in my life
I was afflicted with something crippling


my struggle with a slipped disc
had been long and physically draining
the hurts, the pains, the sorrow
spirits low, I felt I was dying.


The hospital visits became more often
the days of infirmity lengthened
my work was affected, I was deeply saddened
for I knew then, if I stop, everything ends


God was watching, He knew of my affliction
He knew I lacked the money for the operation
He touched some hearts, He pulled some strings,
And in no time, things were set in motion

After the operation, it was like magic
The pain was gone, the ordeal didn't end tragic
With a thankful heart, I told my story
How I was picked up from my misery by God's mercy


Human as I am, the healing I have forgotten
Went on with my life like nothing happened
I was lost in my concerns of everyday living
My spiritual life stopped growing


Nine years ago today, I was given new life
though I forgot, God picked me up again
Given a repentant, contrite and grateful heart
I'll give thanks through the verses I now write

3 comments:

  1. Amen. To God be the glory! I'm enjoying your verses, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add, I love your cross-stitched picture as well. How long did it take you to finish it? I wonder if my eyes can still handle the intricacies of cross-stitching? (As if I need yet another hobby!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @G&P - thanks - this was the very first design I worked on in 1996 and it took me two months to finish it because I was just starting and didn't have a technique yet. But also, technique or not, cross-stitching is really tedious, i have other works that took me 3-4 months (a big picture of the praying hands with the Lord's Prayer superimposed)~ that gives me an idea to feature them one by one here -- there's still four of them with scripture verses)
    My eyes gave up too - I did all of my work up to 1999 only. It was a good hobby but it did take a toll on my eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete